If there is one thing that I've learned from living in cities is that there are always going to be space limitations. Just trying to squeeze a living room and a bedroom into a studio can be a challenge, let alone a work or an office space From those who solely work out of their home, to kids working on their homework, to workaholic moms who work on the same table while their son creates a masterpiece (a-hem), it's almost a necessity to have a place to organize yourself, gather your thoughts and to get some work done.
This being said one of the best and easiest solutions to creating a home office starts with a simple conversion of even the smallest space; a closet! While many of us use our closets as storage for the many worn (and many new and forgotten) clothes that we have stowed away, when taken into prospective and revamped with a bit of creativity, simple furnishings and shelves can turn even the smallest space into a functional home office!
This closet (left) was transformed with a little pink paint, lighting and compact desk gives this space an organized yet chic feel.
These are some great examples that I've found these of cramped closets turned to cool offices.
So here are some great solutions for turning your closet from cramped to cozy!
- Add shelving. Taking full advantage of available wall space by installing SHELVES or a shelving system. You can even mix and match wood and wire shelves and maintain the harmony by adding matching STORAGE BINS.
- Dress up your focal wall. Add character can easily be achieved by using a simple yet decorative WALLPAPER. It is not necessary to wall paper the entire closet either. Simply add to the back wall to give it a bit of interest.
- Remove those closet doors. While I personally perfect to close off an office (out of sight, out of mind) you can rid of the closet doors completely and substitute with DRAPERIES (Not curtains, curtains are for kitchens). From solid colors to the many fun prints, you can add a little pizzazz and still keep the privacy of your new home office.
- KIS (Keep It Stylish). Don't let your new office feel like an office cubicle, add color! Now keep it mind to not go too crazy. This is an office therefor it would be best to work with simple and cohesive color schemes. This will help your office looking organized and clean. It will also make it feel even bigger.
- Let there be light! Many closets are built with very small and unattractive lights, if any at all! There are many simple light fixtures that you could use from IKEA HANGING LAMPS, to small TABLE LAMPS that should add suitable lighting for your work space
- Chic your seat. While your office chair can be multi-functional and you could potentially just pull it from outside given the amount of space you have, chose a seat that is comfortable and fits the tone of your office. Remember, this is a chair you will potentially be for quite a few hours mulling away at, it mine as well be one that you enjoy all that time.